Geetha Samanmalee Kumarasingha, born in 1955 at Badulla, is an actress, a movie producer and a politician in Sri Lanka. She is the eldest daughter of Wijaya, a journalist, and Udula Kumarasinghe. Growing up in Bentara, Elpitiya she was educated at Ananda College, Elpitiya, Sangamitta Girl's School, Aluthgama and Holy Family Convent, Kalutara. She was an award winning actress, acting in more than 80 movies. Kumarasinghe is married to a Swiss national, Chris Fuhrer Ferdinand and has one daughter, Tharika Fiona.
Kumarasingha entered politics in 2010 being supportive of Mahinda Rajapaksa at the Presidential Elections. She was the chief organiser for the Bentara-Elpitiya electorate for the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP), one of the two prominent political parties in Sri Lanka. She entered the Parliament in 2015, after being elected from Galle District.
After giving up her Swiss citizenship, Kumarasingha joined the Sri Lanka Podu Jana Peramuna (SLPP), the new political party that spun off from the UPFA, and got elected to the Ninth Parilament of Sri Lanka.
Political / Government Positions Held
- Chief Organiser of the Bentara-Elpitiya electorate for SLPP affiliated to UPFA - 2010 to Present
- Counselor at the Southern Provincial Council - 2014 to August 2015
- Member of the Sri Lanka Parliament - September 2015 to May 2017
- Member of the Sri Lanka Parliament - August 2020 to date
Tobacco/Alcohol Related Activities
Opposing the price increase of Cigarettes and Alcohol
In July 2016, MP Kumarasingha opposed the proposed increases of the cigarette and alcohol prices at a media briefing. The stated justification for her objections was that a price increase would not stop or reduce their use and its “impact will also have to be shouldered by the women of this nation in the end.”
Increasing tobacco tax is an evidence-based effective control measure for tobacco control and a recommendation of Article 6 of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). In October 2016, tobacco tax was increased to a highest recorded level in the recent history in Sri Lanka and cigarettes in Sri Lanka became the most expensive in the Region. Please refer to the page Industry Responses to Tobacco Tax Increase in 2016 for more details. Cigarette manufacturing and trading in Sri Lanka is a monopoly of Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC), a subsidiary of the British American Tobacco (BAT).
Tobacco Unmasked Resources
Other relevant TobaccoUnmasked pages:
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC)
- British American Tobacco (BAT)
- Ceylon Tobacco Launching a Cigarette Targeting Women
- Tobacco Industry Country Profile – Sri Lanka
The local language translations
- Geetha Samanmalee Kumarasingha. Geetha Samanmalee Kumarasingha, Official Facebook Fan Page, undated, accessed July 2020
- Films.lk website. Geetha Kumarasingha, 2020, accessed July 2020
- Manthri.lk. Geetha Samanmalee Kumarasingha, 2020, accessed July 2020
- Sunday Observer. Honesty, my best asset- Geetha Kumarasingha, 16 March 2014, accessed July 2020
- The Parliament of Sri Lanka. Directory of Past Members, 2020, accessed July 2020
- Ada Derana.lk. Preferential votes- General Election 2015, 18 August 2015, accessed July 2020
- Daily mirror. Court rules Geetha disqualified to be MP, 03 May 2017, accessed July 2020
- Yusuf Ariff. SC upholds ruling on Geetha Kumarasingha’s MP seat, Ada Derana.lk, 02 November 2015, accessed July 2020
- S.S. Selvanayagam. Geetha Kumarasingha contests CA judgment, Daily FT, 10 May 2017, accessed July 2020
- Newsfirst.lk. I gave up my Swiss citizenship – Geetha Kumarasingha, 27 January 2020, accessed July 2020
- Centre for Monitoring Election Violence. Parliamentary Election -2020, 2020, accessed July 2020
- Daily Mirror.lk. Women too affected by cigarette, alcohol price increases: Geetha, 21 July 2016, accessed July 2020