Jagath Manuwarna Kodithuwakku, born in 1980 in Kandy, Sri Lanka, is a Sri Lankan actor, media presenter, scriptwriter, movie director and a politician. Educated at Delthota Central College, Kandy, he was a student of the Tower Hall Drama School, Colombo. In 2003, Jagath joined Sri Lanka Rupavahini Corporation as a presenter.
Jagath received the award for ‘Best Upcoming Actor’ in two national level award ceremonies: ‘Sumathi Television Awards’ in 2009 and 'Raigam Tele's' in 2011. Contributed as an actor to more than 10 movies and tele-dramas, he received several national level awards. He directed his maiden short film “Gindara Poddak” (Speck of Fire), the Best Short Film in 2006 Guerilla Film Festival, Sri Lanka. Two of his other short films (‘The Dark Fall’ and ‘Water Lilly’) received the award for ‘Best Short Film’ at the Agenda Short Film Festival (2011 and 2012), Sri Lanka.
Manuwarna became publicly active in politics first in 2014 as a member of the ‘Aluth Parapura’ (The New Generation), a political activist group mainly comprising of persons from entertainment industry that supported the Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP - People’s Liberation Front). The Aluth Parapura supported Maithripala Sirisena, who later became the 6th Executive President in Sri Lanka, in his run up to the Presidential Election 2015. They, including Manuwarna, received wide media coverage for their election campaign related activities.
In the lead up to the Sri Lankan Parliamentary Election 2020, Manuwarna declared his support to the ‘Jathika Jana Balavegaya’ / National People's Power (NPP) led by Anura Kumara Dissanayake. He was included in the National list of NPP, thus identified as a potential Member of the Parliament from the party. (The Sri Lankan Parliament has two types of Members, ones who are elected and ones who are nominated via the National list.)NPP is a coalition formed by several political parties and movements including the main party, the JVP, the main left-wing political party in Sri Lanka.
Tobacco Related Activities
All the following Sinhala short movies directed by Jagath Manuwarna contained tobacco smoking scenes.
- Gindara Poddak (Speck of Fire) – 2006 (Image 3)
- Water Lilly – 2011 (Image 4)
- The Dark Fall – 2012 (Image 5)
The NATA Act, the main legal framework on tobacco and alcohol in Sri Lanka, prohibits direct and indirect advertisements of tobacco and alcohol. Please refer to the page FCTC Article 13: Tobacco Advertising, Promotion and Sponsorship for more details.
Manuwarna’s role in the ‘Nikini Wessa’ Sinhala movie released in 2013, directed by Aruna Jayawardana, included several scenes depicting smoking cigarettes. For this movie, he obtained the “Most Promising Actor” award in Hiru Golden Film Awards 2014.
Image 2: The Sinhala short movie “Speck of Fire” directed by Jagath promote tobacco smoking. Source: YouTube.
Image 3: The Sinhala short movie “Water Lilly” directed by Jagath promote tobacco smoking. Source: YouTube.
Image 4: The promotion trailer of the Sinhala short movie “The Dark Fall” directed by Jagath promote tobacco smoking. Source: YouTube.
Image 5: A Cigarette smoking scene played by Jagath Manuwarna in the Sinhala movie ‘Nikini Wessa’. Source: YouTube.
Tobacco Unmasked Resources
Other relevant TobaccoUnmasked pages:
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC)
- British American Tobacco (BAT)
- National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA) Act
The local language translations
- Jagath Manuwarna. Jagath Manuwarna kodithuwakku, Official Facebook Fan Page, 2020, accessed August 2020
- Jagath Manuwarna. Jagath Manuwarna, Vimeo, 2020, accessed August 2020
- IMDb.com. Jagath Manuwarna, 2020, accessed August 2020
- films.lk. Jagath Manuwarna, 2020, accessed August 2020
- Ada Derana. Pro-Maithripala artists attacked in Kumbukgeta, 29 December 2014, accessed August 2020
- Parliament of Sri Lanka. Heads of State, 2020, accessed August 2020
- Centre for Monitoring Election Violence. List of persons submitted under Article 99A of the Constitution: (National List), 2020, accessed August 2020
- jvpsrilanka.com. NPP was built for a people’s administration to create new society, 31 July 2019, accessed August 2020
- Jagath Manuwarna. Speck of Fire-Short Film By Jagath Manuwarna, YouTube, 2006, accessed August 2020
- Mahinda Abeysinghe. Water Lilly - Short Film (Sinhala), YouTube, 2011, accessed August 2020
- Jagath Manuwarna. The Dark Fall Promo Reel, YouTube, 04 January 2012, accessed August 2020
- YouTube. Nikini Wessa Trailer Sinhala Film Trailer by films.Lk, 25 October 2014, accessed August 2020
- films.lk. Nikini Wessa / නිකිණි වැස්ස, 2013, accessed August 2020