Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Sri Lanka Region
Chartered Institute of Marketing Sri Lanka Region (CIM Sri Lanka) is an affiliated body of the Charted Institute of Marketing in UK. It is an educational institute and a professional association for marketers and marketing students. CIM Sri Lanka describes itself as “the fastest growing CIM body which serves over 3,000 studying members and 1,000 members”. The governing board of the institution in the 2016 – 2017 period can be found in CIM Sri Lanka Website.
Tobacco Related Activities
CIM Sri Lanka hosted a Breakfast Forum featuring the CEO and the Managing Director of the Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC.Held on 01st March 2017, it was titled “Stakeholder Engagement” (Image 1). According to the media reports, the forum “bring together top Business leaders, CEOs, CIM Fellow Members and Senior Corporate Executives”.
CIM case study collection featured tobacco industry as a good example for marketing strategies (Image 2).
Further, employees of the tobacco industry serve as CIM teachers as reflected in the examples below;
- Thusitha Abeyesekera – Abeyesekera was an employee of the tobacco industry from August 2006. He reportedly served as a “Senior Lecturer (Pro bono)” for CIM from January 2007 to February 2012.
- Dusty Alahakoon – Alahakoon was employed at CTC from September 2000 to January 2006. He is reportedly a CIM lecturer from 1999.
Links with the Tobacco Industry
Some of the office bearers of the CIM Regional Board has either past or present links with the Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC) as mentioned below;
- Sujith Silva (Secretary) – Jude Sujith Silva is the Managing Director of Inspire Holdings Pvt. Ltd, a company that lists CTC as a client.
- Sumudu Thanthirigoda (Treasurer) – Sumudu Thanthirigoda is employed as the General Manager – Sales and Marketing at ACL Cables PLC from October, 2014. He worked as the Planning and Insights Manager at CTC from November 2011 to April 2013. Thanthirigoda served in the Regional Management Committee of CIM Sri Lanka in 2011/2012 and in 2013 as well, while he was employed in the CTC.
The local language translations
- CIM Sri Lanka. CIM Sri Lanka, undated, accessed March 2017
- CIM Sri Lanka Website. Breakfast Forum – Stakeholder Engagement, 01 March 2017, accessed March 2017
- CIM Sri Lanka. Facebook Album - CIM CEO Breakfast Forum, 01st March 2017, accessed March, 2017
- The Island. Michael Koest, MD and CEO, CTC to address CIM SL, 24 February 2017, accessed March 2017
- H Meek, R Meek. CIM Coursebook 03/04 Strategic Marketing Management, London: Routledge, 2012
- T Abeyesekera. LinkedIn Profile, undated, accessed March 2017
- D Alahakoon. LinkedIn Profile, undated, accessed March 2017
- Daily FT. Dusty nominee from CIM Sri Lanka Region to represent CIM International Board of Trustees, 08 December 2010, accessed March 2017
- Council for Business with Britain. The Council for Business with Britain Committee 2016/2017, undated, accessed March, 2017
- CIM Sri Lanka. CIM Regional Board 2016 – 2017, undated, accessed March 2017
- JS Silva. LinkedIn Profile, undated, accessed March 2017
- S Thanthirigoda. LinkedIn Profile, undated, accessed March 2017
- The Island. CIM Sri Lanka Region elects new Board, Management Committee for 2013, 18 December 2012, accessed March 2017
- Daily FT. CIM Sri Lanka region gears for another year, 16 December 2011, accessed March 2017