Summary of Tobacco Industry Interference in Sri Lanka – 01st June 2022 to 31st May 2023
This page is the first of a series that summarises tobacco industry interference and their activities reported in Sri Lanka, which will be published annually to celebrate the anniversary of CCT which falls in July 7th. This page covers tobacco industry interference and their activities reported in the 12 months starting from one World No Tobacco Day to the next. When relevant, this series will feature the cannabis industry as well, as it is heavily backed by the tobacco industry.
Table 1 summarises tobacco and cannabis industry interference and activities reported up to 30th June 2022.
Table 1: Summary of reported tobacco and cannabis industry interference and activities
|Tobacco Company||Number of Incidents|
|Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC)||1|
|ITC Limited India||1|
The reported incidents are summarised below. Please visit the relevant pages for more details.
- Media reported that share price index for Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC) went down by 6.4% to Rs. 600 per share.
- ITC Limited India announced that the construction project under the WelcomHotels Lanka (Private) Limited, a subsidiary of ITC, was impacted due to economic crisis in Sri Lanka. This project is reportedly the first ITC foreign venture in the hotel field which is worth USD 300 million. Media reported that the construction of some structures including the 50–story residence tower and the 30–story hotel tower was completed despite the difficulties (Image 1).
- British American Tobacco (BAT)
- ITC Limited India
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC)
- Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC)
- FCTC Article 5.3
- Economy Next. Sri Lanka shares slump to one-month low; foreigners exit after PM’s cautioning, 7 June 2022, accessed June 2022
- I A Dutt. ITC's luxury project in Colombo hit by headwinds as Sri Lanka economy sinks, 23 June 2022, accessed June 2022
- Daily Mirror online. ITC One Colombo development achieves key milestones towards 2023 completion, 10 June 2022, accessed June 2022